How can I begin to move forward following a spinal cord injury?
Often, spinal cord injuries are serious, and may be so severe that people are unable to move portions, if not all, of their bodies on their own in the present or future. Patients suffering from spinal cord injuries may need intensive treatment, therapies, and assistance for a lengthy period of time to aid in recovery or relearning tasks.
Many spinal cord injuries are caused by the improper actions or negligence of another. Perhaps the injury occurred during a car or construction accident. Or, perhaps a doctor failed to follow the standard of care during an operation or other treatment, and unfortunately, a spinal cord injury occurred. Seeking the advice of a spinal cord injury lawyer can help you determine next steps if you have suffered a spinal cord injury.
Spinal cord injury law may consist of a combination of many types of laws and legal theories – from person injury to contract law – and may involve careful study of information as to insurance and medical information relative to payment sources. Specifically, with spinal cord injuries, there is usually intensive therapy and treatment following discharge from the hospital. These costs add up quickly, and can be overwhelming for a patient and his/her family and lead to bankruptcy without significant recovery
Additionally, other potential family-altering issues include being unable to work in the same capacity as before an injury, if at all, resulting in lost wages, and nursing or therapy care in everyday life. For example, if the injury occurred during a construction accident, the person may not be able to continue a physical construction job after a spinal cord injury. A spinal cord injury attorney can assess these on-going costs and monies for the patient and family, and help make a plan, perhaps involving litigation, for compensation.
Having a representative attorney who understands the severity of a spinal cord injury and the burdens associated with same, including medical, financial, emotional, and otherwise can help you determine how best to move forward for you and your family. Spinal cord injury attorneys can help gather information, and if necessary, file a lawsuit for you against a person or entity that either acted improperly or acted negligently.
It is important to remember to act quickly after suffering a spinal cord injury, as time for taking action may already be ticking away, as well as gathering evidence relative to the accident. Consult with a spinal cord injury lawyer to help in what is a frustrating and overwhelming time in your life and that of your family, and let them help with some of the burden on the legal side.
Video: Learn More About Our Personal Injury Practice
Recent Personal Injury Blog Posts
- Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer
- Indiana Personal Injury Attorney
- Indiana Car Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Car Crash Lawyer
- Indiana Car Wreck Lawyer
- Indiana Auto Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Automobile Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Truck Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Construction Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Dog Attack Attorney
- Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Indiana Wrongful Death Attorney
- Indianapolis Head Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Brain Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Whiplash Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Serious Injury Lawyer
- Indianapolis Premises Liability Lawyer
- Indianapolis Slip and Fall Liability Lawyer
- Indiana Elder Law Attorney
- Indiana Nursing Home Negligence Attorney
- Helpful Links