Our world is turned upside down: A loved one has died due to the negligent or intentional actions of another; how can I support myself and my family?
When a family member is killed and the cause of death is the improper action or inaction of another person, through negligence or an intentional act by another, there is obviously trauma to the family unit that you experience in the form of emotional distress. From the legal standpoint, there also may be avenues for the family to explore to account for this and provide support that the loved one is no longer able to provide and other losses; the sources for recovery range from insurance sources to assets of the wrongdoer.
A wrongful death attorney can work with and assess a family’s situation after suffering the death of a loved one, and how best to move forward to help protect the family’s financial state and otherwise. Wrongful death attorneys can begin by determining whether a person or entity was negligent or acted intentionally in causing the wrongful death. This changes the theory and ability to recover. From there, an Indiana wrongful death attorney can advise of any potential lawsuits to help recover funeral costs, lost wages, and other related financial support and loses.
As noted, wrongful death can be caused by either an intentional act of a person or entity or by negligence on the part of a person or entity. For example, a person who intentionally attacks and injuries a victim who then dies will likely face criminal charges. But, these criminal charges will not address the financial impact on the family, including wages and expenses and other losses. An Indiana wrongful death lawyer can help determine if, and how, to file a civil case to recover these expenses, including determining all of your recovery sources.
A negligent act causing wrongful death could be, for example, a case where a doctor fell below the standard of care in providing medical care and/or prescribing the wrong drug, and this or these failures to provide proper standard care, caused the death of the victim. Whether intentional or negligent, wrongful death lawyers can analyze the situation and determine how best to act to provide for remaining family members.
Suffering the loss of a loved one is difficult enough in itself, but when the financial realities and the loss of that person’s companionship are stacked on, it becomes even more difficult to even consider talking with a lawyer. This is where a wrongful death attorney will be able to help and be sensitive to the matter, but at the same time, cognizant the clock is likely ticking. Consulting with a wrongful death lawyer as quickly as possible may preserve your case and allow for protection for your family, financially and otherwise.
Video: Learn More About Our Personal Injury Practice
Recent Personal Injury Blog Posts
- Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer
- Indiana Personal Injury Attorney
- Indiana Car Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Car Crash Lawyer
- Indiana Car Wreck Lawyer
- Indiana Auto Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Automobile Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Truck Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Construction Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Dog Attack Attorney
- Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Indiana Wrongful Death Attorney
- Indianapolis Head Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Brain Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Whiplash Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Serious Injury Lawyer
- Indianapolis Premises Liability Lawyer
- Indianapolis Slip and Fall Liability Lawyer
- Indiana Elder Law Attorney
- Indiana Nursing Home Negligence Attorney
- Helpful Links