What steps should I take immediately after a motor vehicle accident to help preserve my potential legal rights? Should I retain a vehicle accident lawyer?
Often, the scene at a vehicle accident is chaotic as the parties involved move to get out of the roadway, police and other first emergency responders arrive, and other motorists travel by. If there is injury, a vehicle accident lawyer will want all information you can obtain regarding your vehicle accident.
Here are some general tips to think about after an accident occurs that will provide your motor vehicle accident lawyer with invaluable information and a place to logically begin your case:
The first is to call the police. Police reports can not only describe the scene and the statements of the parties involved at the accident, they may also contain pictures or create visuals representations of the accident. If a lawsuit is filed by you, providing this police report to vehicle accident lawyers can help them determine potential issues, witnesses, and courses of action.
The second is to exchange information about auto insurance. Your motor vehicle accident attorney will be involved with the insurance company for you and/or the other party involved in the accident almost immediately. Specifically, the vehicle accident lawyer will likely send a notice letter to the insurance adjuster/carrier indicating representation and directing that further communication be through counsel. Having information that is as complete as possible can make matters easier moving forward with any communication or claims.
The third is to be aware of potential witnesses. Did someone who witnessed the accident stop to help and is now leaving since first responders are arriving? Maybe the accident happened right across from a busy office building, with windows overlooking. Or at a stop light with cameras. These people might have seen the accident, and may be able to testify. Any details like this can be helpful for a motor vehicle accident lawyer in building a case.
Fourth, often injuries from a vehicle accident or any accident may take several days to show up. With the adrenaline released during an accident, it may not be immediately apparent if there are injuries or the severity. After an accident, it may be wise to get checked over to see that there are not any unknown issues, and follow up with a doctor if pain begins or becomes worse.
Finally, at least with a severe accident, time is essential in these accident cases, and to understand and preserve your rights, it is best to meet with an Indiana motor vehicle accident lawyer quickly. Take any information you may have, including police reports, report numbers, and doctor’s records, if any, including prescriptions prescribed, to help an attorney determine your next steps.
Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. handles vehicle accidents across the State.
Video: Learn More About Our Personal Injury Practice
Recent Personal Injury Blog Posts
- Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer
- Indiana Personal Injury Attorney
- Indiana Car Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Car Crash Lawyer
- Indiana Car Wreck Lawyer
- Indiana Auto Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Automobile Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Truck Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Construction Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Dog Attack Attorney
- Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Indiana Wrongful Death Attorney
- Indianapolis Head Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Brain Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Whiplash Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Serious Injury Lawyer
- Indianapolis Premises Liability Lawyer
- Indianapolis Slip and Fall Liability Lawyer
- Indiana Elder Law Attorney
- Indiana Nursing Home Negligence Attorney
- Helpful Links