Now Hiring Experienced Attorneys

Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


5 Ways to Collect Child Support from a non-payor

In any custody case, either divorce or paternity, where there are minor children, generally the non-custodial parent is ordered to pay a weekly child support amount (there may be some rare circumstances where the custodial parent pays, or no child support is ordered).  However, what happens after the court order is issued, and the parent obligated to pay STILL does not pay?  These are 5 common tools used to collect child support.

1. Contempt.

File a contempt action for non-payment.  This often results in a court order to pay extra each week towards the arrearage, and some other sanctions, as the court deems necessary (such as paying the recipient parent’s attorney fees).

2. Tax interception.

If there is a child support arrearage, and the non-paying (but obligated) parent files his or her taxes, and receives a refund, the state can intercept the tax return and provide it to the custodial parent towards payment of the arrearage (as reflected by the child support docket tracked by the court).

3. Driver’s License Suspension and Professional License Suspension.

Indiana law provides that if the parent ordered to pay support is found by a court to have intentionally violated the support order, and is delinquent in their support payments, the court shall order the BMV1 to suspend that parent’s driver’s license, or if that parent does not have a license, then to not issue one, until the court orders otherwise.2 Indiana law defines “delinquent” as, at least $2,000 or more in arrearages, or 3 months or more of nonpayment.3 The same applies to professional licenses, such as attorneys, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, CPAs, etc.4

4. URESA (Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement Act):

If one of the parents has moved to another state, the Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement Act applies certain procedures and provisions for registering another state’s child support order with the new state, and asking the new state to enforce same.

5. Criminal charges if so far behind.

If child support is so far behind, the obligated parenting may have state or federal criminal charges filed against him or her.  In Indiana, it is a class D felony to willingly not support one’s child, and the crime rises to a class C felony if the amount is over $15,000.5 For an obligated parent to be charged federally, the parent must be in willful violation of a child support order issued by another state (i.e. not the state the obligated parent is currently residing in) and the child support must be either 1 year or $5,000, or 2 years or $10,000 in arrears.6

We hope that you have found this information to be helpful in understanding alternative methods of collecting child support.  This is not intended to be legal advice.  If you have questions or concerns about your specific case, CIYOU & DIXON, P.C. can help evaluate your specific case. This blog post was written by Attorney, Lori B. Schmeltzer.

  1. Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  2. Indiana Code § 31-16-12-7
  3. Indiana Code § 31-25-4-2
  4. Indiana Code § 31-16-12-8, and Indiana Code § 31-25-4
  5. Indiana Code  § 35-46-1-5
  6. 8 U.S.C. § 228

We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Copyright © 2022 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Ciyou & Dixon will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. In addition, this practice focus is augmented by the firm's other three core areas, namely appellate advocacy, civil practice, and firearms law. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counselSM.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.