Now Hiring Experienced Attorneys

Call Now

Call Now

Call Now


Be Warned: 4 Things That Can Haunt You After Divorce

There is no doubt the divorce process is long, stressful, and expensive, so when it is final, and you can start to move forward with your life, it’s easy to lose track of many important documents and considerations. Many attorneys will withdraw from your case after the final order is issued, because, for all intents and purposes, the scope of what you retained them to do is complete. However, and especially if you have children with your now ex-spouse, there are many things to remember and keep track of.

1) Keep a copy of your final divorce decree and know where it is.

(a)  If you are a woman and want to change your name back to your maiden name, you will need this court order to show to the BMV, Social Security Office, Credit Cards and other accounts you need to change your name on.

(b) There are a lot of details that you may forget when it comes to effectuating the property division.

(c) There are a lot of details and specifics related to custody, parenting time, and child support, and it may be helpful to reference your Order when questions or disputes come up.

2) Pay/Receive child support through the County Clerk or State Central Bureau, and make sure there is an Income Wage withholding Order.

(a) If you pay, or receive, child support directly, either cash or check, to/from your ex-spouse the only way to track what was paid is bank statements or check stubs, if you are withdrawing/writing a check/depositing same in a bank account. If it is in cash, there is virtually no way to track. If a dispute ever arises regarding an over payment or underpayment of support, it becomes extremely difficult to track. When support is paid to the County Clerk or State Central Bureau these departments keep the records, which can be requested at any time to show if there has been an overpayment or underpayment of support.

(b) Child support is calculated by the week, and because some months have 5 weeks, and some have 4, an Income Wage withholding Order can help keep child support on track and avoid accidental overpayment or underpayment.

3) Seek to Modify Child Support if you lose your job or see a decrease in pay (or increase)

(a) Child support is based on your income, therefore, if you find yourself with a reduced income, or job loss, you should immediately seek to modify your child support obligation. Generally if you do see a reduction in income, and do not tell the court, you will be responsible for paying support at the last court ordered amount. While you may need to continue paying support until a court reviews your modification request and makes a ruling, a court can modify the support obligation back to the date you filed your request (and give you credit for the overpayments).

4) Now that your children are almost adults, there are two important considerations 1) emancipation at 19, and 2) college expenses.

(a) In Indiana, you can seek a court order for parental contribution to college expenses if your child attends college. If you divorced when your children were young, it is likely this was not taken into consideration because it was far too early to speculate whether your children would go to college and what your income would be by then. If your child is planning on attending college, and your divorce decree doesn’t provide for this, you may want to seek a college expense contributions order.

(b) In Indiana, a child is considered emancipated at 19 years old. However, if you have an Income Wage withholding Order child support will continue until a court order emancipates the child and orders your support stopped. However, there may be other considerations to seeking the child emancipated before the age of 19, or that support may continue beyond the age of 19.

We hope that you have found these tips to be helpful in remembering some key post divorce issues. This is not intended to be legal advice. If you have questions or concerns about your specific case, CIYOU & DIXON, P.C. can help evaluate your specific case. This blog post was written by Attorney, Lori B. Schmeltzer.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on email

We Listen & Care

Proven & experienced attorneys successfully advocating & resolving complex cases for over 25 years

Quick Contact

Need to talk now? Fill out the quick form below and we will contact you directly.
Blog Categories

Get In Touch

We're available to answer your questions 24/7.

Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and we will be in touch with you shortly.

Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., is a law firm located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve clients in six core practice areas: family lawappellate practicefirearms lawgeneral practicepersonal injury and criminal law.

Copyright © 2021 Ciyou & Dixon, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved. This Site does not provide legal advice; please review the disclaimer for other limitations. Privacy Policy

Based in Indianapolis and founded in 1995, Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. is a niche law firm focused on successfully dealing with the complexities of divorce, high-conflict child custody and family law. Known for their ability to solve extremely complex situations with high quality work and responsiveness, Ciyou & Dixon will guide you every step of the way. The family law attorneys at Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. will help you precisely identify your objectives and the means to reach your desired result. In addition, this practice focus is augmented by the firm's other three core areas, namely appellate advocacy, civil practice, and firearms law. Life is uncertain. Be certain of your counselSM.

Indianapolis Divorce Attorneys, Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. of Indianapolis, Indiana, offers legal services for Indianapolis, Zionsville, Noblesville, Carmel, Avon, Anderson, Danville, Greenwood, Brownsburg, Geist, Fortville, McCordsville, Muncie, Greenfield, Westfield, Fort Wayne, Fishers, Bloomington, Lafayette, Marion County, Hamilton County, Hendricks County, Allen County, Delaware County, Morgan County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Vigo County, Johnson County, Hancock County, and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.