What types of damages can I recover and what should I discuss with my Indiana personal injury attorney if I have been injured by the negligence of another?
Last year, Indiana personal injury lawyers filed approximately 11,000 new personal injury cases; personal injury cases are rather common. The ultimate question in every case is what is the injury worth in terms of dollars?
In fact, after selecting the lawyer to handle your case, most Indiana personal injury attorneys spend a lot of time with you on your case determining damages, assuming the other elements are clear, including the liability of the wrongdoer; a key part to recovering a maximum amount is determining damages with some precision. If they are just speculative and not able to be quantified, it is unlikely a negligent party or his or her insurer or a judge or jury will award such damages.
Thus, the Indianapolis personal injury attorney and client will work on determining and continuing to track damages. This may include suffering that extends to the injured person’s family as well, including loss of income from the injured person’s spouse time off work related to the injury or time spent to assist with daily tasks. Even before you obtain counsel, it is important to write all changes in your life down that occurred from or was caused by the negligence, such as the typical car accident.
As a part of your work with the Indiana personal injury attorney, he or she can help you determine if you have a case or legal relief against other people who have contributed to the injury to you. An example would be if you are rear-ended after slowing down for a mattress in the roadway. The driver who hits you, along with the one who left the mattress in the roadway, if located, may both have liability.
Personal injury can include injury to the mind or emotions, in addition the body of your personal being. Common instances where a personal injury case might arise are car accidents (motorcycle and pedestrian accidents), slip and fall accidents, workplace injuries / accidents, and workplace / industry related diseases. There are certainly many more occasions where a personal injury case could arise. As noted, an Indiana personal injury lawyer will help you determine if there is a viable case.
Based on the foregoing and other considerations, an Indiana personal injury lawyer will be able to help you determine the merits of your case, whether you should settle with the insurance company, and for how much, depending on whether you are likely to prevail at trial. An insurance company is likely to want to settle with you to compensate you for your injuries before you retain an attorney and know the nature and extent of your injuries, which is legally imprudent.
Ciyou & Dixon, P.C. handles personal injury cases of all types. We are available to help you with these most serious decisions.
Video: Learn More About Our Personal Injury Practice
Recent Personal Injury Blog Posts
- Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer
- Indiana Personal Injury Attorney
- Indiana Car Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Car Crash Lawyer
- Indiana Car Wreck Lawyer
- Indiana Auto Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Automobile Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Truck Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Construction Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Indiana Dog Attack Attorney
- Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Indiana Wrongful Death Attorney
- Indianapolis Head Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Brain Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Whiplash Injury Attorney
- Indianapolis Serious Injury Lawyer
- Indianapolis Premises Liability Lawyer
- Indianapolis Slip and Fall Liability Lawyer
- Indiana Elder Law Attorney
- Indiana Nursing Home Negligence Attorney
- Helpful Links